Monday, November 24, 2008

Decisions



Deciding where to live, is one of the hardest things we have had to deal with in a while. Weighing the pros and cons of each location, thinking about the things we will miss, the things we love, the things we hate.
The Wasatch Mountains are beautiful in the summer and winter.
Mt Hood is a huge looming guardian of the Portland metro area.
Skiing, hiking, mountain biking, snow shoeing, and such are so close here in Utah, and if we bought a house in Heber City the mountains would be our back yard playground.
The live music scene in the PNW (pacific northwest) is mind blowing. The jazz and blues musicians that come out of that area are some of the best you will ever hear.

So this is where we are at. Nothing is set in stone, we are planning for both, we are leaving it up to fate.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I've had to deal with a decision like that for years as well.

My family lives on the East coast and I'm out here in the West. They beg me to go back, but I can't, I guess in my heart, I'm a Westerner; I love the wide open spaces.

Given the choice between Portland and Salt Lake, I'd have to go with Portland, but that's just me.

irondad said...

If the way you make a living offers you the choice, go with your heart. Listing pros and cons on paper never seems to work.

You can hear jazz ( which I love, by the way ) other than live. Unless you really like big crowds, the local festivals are now on my "pass" list. There's also talk about most of the funding going away.

I'm playing psychoanalystic which is dangerous, I know. But look at what your wrote.

Portland: Mt. Hood and the live music scene.

Utah: Wasatch Mountains, skiing, hiking, mountain biking, snow shoeing, and such.

You can do a lot of the second list in Portland but look where you put them.

Now that I've screwed with your mind, I'll sign off!